Can existing database be used to insert song titles?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Can existing database be used to insert song titles?

Susan&Win
Hello, we are home karaoke singers in California, trying to convert our CD+G discs into digital files before the discs' quality degrades. We have purchased QMidi and successfully used CDGBackup to rip a CD+G disc to a movie file, and played it back in QMidi. So, it's looking good so far.

Our problem: in ripping the disc with CDGBackup, I had to type every song title individually. But my husband already has a large database with all song titles, artist names, and album names. It is in FileMakerPro but contents can easily be exported to an Excel file.

Question #1: Is there any way to use this existing data so that we don't have to type every individual song title when ripping? I understand that every disc must be ripped individually, but am hoping that once it's in either the CDGBackup folder or in QMidi, there is some import or copy/paste function available.  We have more than 1,500 songs, so that is a lot of typing we'd like to avoid.

Question #2: is there a reason your Forum website pages will not automatically translate to English with Google translate?

Thank you for help, we are very hopeful we have found an answer for what we'd like to do.
Susan
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Can existing database be used to insert song titles?

mixage
Administrator
Hello Susan,

Question #1: I could implement some sort of copy / paste mechanism in CDGBackup, so you won't need to type one track at a time. Useful?

Question #2: The forum is displayed inside an iFrame and Google may not be happy of this. Try to load the forum this way:
https://forum.mixagesoftware.com/

Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com
support@mixagesoftware.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Susan&Win
On 6/1/21 7:27 AM, mixage [via QMidi Forum] wrote:
Hello Susan,

Question #1: I could implement some sort of copy / paste mechanism in CDGBackup, so you won't need to type one track at a time. Useful?

Question #2: The forum is displayed inside an iFrame and Google may not be happy of this. Try to load the forum this way:
https://forum.mixagesoftware.com/

#1: YES!! That would be wonderful, thank you very much.

#2: I will try this. Right now having a password problem and not receiving the reset email, but I'm sure I can solve that.

Thanks again. Please post here when the copy/paste is implemented (with instructions, please 😁) so I can give it a try.

Reply | Threaded
|

mixage
Administrator
Check this:

https://forum.mixagesoftware.com/CDGBackup-1-2-beta-1-available-for-testing-tp2007.html

Text can be directly copied from/to Excel (first column = title, second column = artist).
Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Susan&Win
It is working! I have figured out most of it. Thank you very much!

For anyone else who tries this, you Copy an entire block of song titles  and titles in Excel (two columns across by however many rows of songs), but when you paste it into CDGBackup (after ripping the corresponding disc), you highlight only the first row before pasting. It will paste all rows starting with the one you highlighted.

To Mixage: should we continue to use the CDGBackup beta application?

One more question: after all songs are in the Library and we have a karaoke party using QMidi, do we find the song the singer wants by (for example) sorting by Artist, then double-clicking on the song title to play/run it? In other words, there does not seem to be unique number identifier for each song in the library, and no way to create one, correct? We are okay with doing it the way I described, I'm just trying to understand any options available.
Reply | Threaded
|

mixage
Administrator
v1.2 final version available :)
https://www.mixagesoftware.com/#cdgbackup
or
Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Susan&Win
Thank you.  Unfortunately, I have may been mistaken about the transfer of information from CDGBackup to QMidi.

I think copy/pasted information does not transfer when dragging the file to the QMidi sidebar, but will have to test it again to be sure. I may not have time to do that in the next few days but will try. I apologize for the premature response, but no harm done with the newer version, it still has all the previous features.

I will get back to you after continued testing and apologize that I may have been wrong in reporting that the problem is fully solved.

Susan
Reply | Threaded
|

mixage
Administrator
Of course the tracks info must be set BEFORE extracting the CD.
Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Susan&Win
Everything is working GREAT, thank you so much. Adding the copy/paste capability is making it possible to use your software to convert our CDG library and run our party music from my Macbook Air instead of our old Radio Shack CDG disc player machine.

I have a background in documentation and have written up the procedure from start to finish. Once I see if my husband can follow it, and make any final edits, I will be happy to make it available to you for future customers if you would like it, just let me know. I can send it to your support email address.

Thank you again, great product and outstanding support!

Susan Rogers (and Winslow Rogers)
Grass Valley, California
Reply | Threaded
|

mixage
Administrator
I am very happy that you enjoy this software.
And yes, I gladly integrate your documentation
Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com