Live navigation within a song...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Live navigation within a song...

Dikikeys
My keyboard allows me to navigate within a MIDI song using Markers. I can place them for sections like Intro, 1st Verse, Chorus, Solo etc., then if I want an extra verse, or someone sits in and I want to do a double solo, all I have to do is hit a button and the song jumps to that section (at the next bar boundary).

Then there are programs like Ableton Live that allow audio to do basically the same thing. But, AFAIK, none that will display lyrics and still allow Markers.

Is it possible in QMIDI to enable Markers, and allow a performer to jump to any other Marker while the song plays?

There are issues if you want to be able to jump at any bar (it needs a synchronized tempo track unless the song is absolutely metronomic), but several other programs do something like this simply by doing a jump at the end of each section (doesn't matter when you hit the jump button, it waits until the current section finishes to jump to the next one).

This would be incredibly handy for live performers. Rather than the song ALWAYS being exactly the same, now you can choose to extend it, shorten it, restructure it on the fly, but still have the lyrics synced.

Doable?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Live navigation within a song...

Dikikeys
It occurs to me that QMIDI can handle MIDI, and it can handle audio.

Maybe some way of combining both would allow for this..?

Imagine a MIDI file that plays the audio 'chunks', with a Marker system to allow jumping to alternative points in a song, and all the MIDI file would need is a tempo track and notes that trigger audio files. The lyrics could be embedded in the SMF, and would follow the Marker jumps.