classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Moving Library from external to internal hard drive

jmonast
Hi,

Since I was missing disk space locally on my laptop, I'm currently using QMidi installed locally, but all my files are located on an external drive.

Now I would like to use only the internal disk.  Is the procedure located in your TUTORIALS page named: "Screencast # 4 - Moving the QMidi Library and related media files"

is the one to use?  IF not, how should I do it?

Since it is mentionned that we do this to our own risk, I just want to make sure.

Thank you!

JM
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Moving Library from external to internal hard drive

mixage
Administrator
I didn't test the reverse operation at this time... Let me make some trial
Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com
support@mixagesoftware.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Moving Library from external to internal hard drive

mixage
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hello,

I've tested the reverse action, "Moving Media from external to internal hard drive".
The steps are:

1 - Update library aliases and quit QMidi.
2 - Make a backup copy of the "(Home)/Music/QMidi/QMidi_Library.sql" file, just in case...
3 - Move all the media files of the external drive into a folder named "QMidi" at the root of the external drive.
4 - Update library aliases and quit QMidi
5 - Copy all the media files previously moved to the "ExternalHD/QMidi" folder to the "(Home)/Music/QMidi" folder of your internal drive.
6 - Delete the "ExternalHD/QMidi" folder and all its content. You can make a backup copy of this folder but the original and its content one MUST be deleted (move to trash and empty the trash).
7 - Make a symbolic link of the "(Home)/Music/QMidi" folder and copy it at the root level to the external drive. It must be named "QMidi".
8 - Update library aliases and quit QMidi.

If all steps were carefully done, your library now points to the copied files.
Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com
support@mixagesoftware.com