Patch List

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Patch List

claude
How do you choose between SC-55 and SC-88 patch list in the latest version 2.8.3?

Im a little confused.
Do I need to down load anything?

Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Patch List

mixage
Administrator
Click on the “SC-55 PATCH” section title in the Mixer. It’s a popup
Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com
support@mixagesoftware.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Dikikeys
Are there any plans for updating to other more recent Roland patch lists? SC88Pro, XV series, Fantom's, BK series, etc.?

Or perhaps the ability to import patch scripts from Cubase or other DAW's (.xml or stuff like that)?

The SC55/88 Tone Lists date back to the 90's, and aren't used a whole lot any more, I'd venture to say...
Reply | Threaded
|

mixage
Administrator
I'm actually reading patches from a pair of .midnam (xml) files. Because this format is tricky and subject to bugs I didn't allow users to directly import these files.
It should not be a big problem to incorporate more .midnams in future versions. Waiting for suggestions and links to proper well formatted .midnam stuff.

Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com
Reply | Threaded
|

claude
In reply to this post by mixage
Thanks Bruno.
Is this for when you play it thought the laptop only? I cant hear any difference between them at all..

Reply | Threaded
|

mixage
Administrator
This is a list of instruments. Nothing more
Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com
Reply | Threaded
|

now_its_dark
Hi there! Resurrecting this thread a couple years later
Is this still a possibility? It would be great to have XG instrument definitions at least, along with the Roland ones.

This site has a bunch of .midnams, including the Yamaha MU10 and MU128.

Alternately, might it be possible to enable an experimental/expert feature toggle, which would cause QMidi to look in the /Library/Audio/MIDI Patch Names directory for these files, rather than the internal one?
Reply | Threaded
|

Dikikeys
Coming as I do from one of Roland’s last general purpose arranger keyboards (the BK9), I hate to admit it, but the days of simply changing the PC/32/00 codes and you get a fully balanced performance in a newer piece of gear have long departed.

I can plug legacy GS sequences into my BK9, and yes, you won’t get the completely wrong sound, but the balance of the drum kits changed a fair bit, hihats came a lot more forward, some drum kits have flams on notes that used to be straight hits. The rot started with the VK series, and got worse with the G/E series, which the BK series is largely derived from.

It’s a shame, those golden years of GS were certainly convenient, but sounds, especially multi-velocity sounds have undone a lot of plug and play. Back in the day, a sound was basically the same if played high velocity low volume, or low velocity high volume. Vel-switched sounds changed all that. The velocity is critical to making the samples change at the right point, and thus volume (or Expression) is also critical.

Yamaha’s newest arrangers have something called ‘Revo’ kits with a whole bunch of new hihat, snare and other sound articulations on notes previously unused (but possibly not unused for post-GS kits) and some round-Robin triggering (on the Genos).

Nowadays, a lot of the backing sites have moved to audio tracks, which tends to negate the need for compatibility (the track will sound identical on anything!), and the whole sampled workstation thing seems to be a thing of the past, along with a legacy set that will play 30 year old sequences…

The price of progress, I guess!
Reply | Threaded
|

mixage
Administrator
In reply to this post by now_its_dark
You may like to test this app:
https://www.mixagesoftware.com/private/beta/midnamReader-01b1.zip

Ask me for user / pass by mail :) :)

v0.1b1

Known limitations:
- Only handling CC0 and CC32 bank select Midi Commands.
- Only considering first CustomDeviceMode.
Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com