classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Pitch Transpose for single instrument in Mixer section

claude
Hi Bruno,

Is it possible to include in the mixer section, a pitch control from -12 to +12 for each instrument?

I would be great to transpose only one or a few instruments in a midi file.    Just like we can transpose a whole file in the transport bar, it would be great to do individual instruments in the mixer

For example I just want the bass an octave lower or higher, then be able to save it like that.

Thanks in advance

Claude

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Pitch Transpose for single instrument in Mixer section

bruno
MidiKit is the right tool
Reply | Threaded
|

claude
it would be great to have it all on the one program as in Qmidi instead of going to 2 different programs. Sometimes Im on stage and need to change it on the fly. Would be great just to go into the mixer section.

I have opened a file in Midikit and can seem to find where I would change the pitch of just one instrument. Could you point me in the right direction please.
Reply | Threaded
|

mixage
Administrator
This is a batch action applied  in the browser window via selection menu.
Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com
support@mixagesoftware.com
Reply | Threaded
|

claude
Thanks Bruno,

I still believe it would be great to have it in the Mixer section of Qmidi. WOuld make it a lot easier and quicker when doing a live gig.

Cheers
Reply | Threaded
|

Dikikeys
It’s generally an unsatisfactory fix to transpose an entire bassline an octave because the track has been transposed down just a few semitones. You are trading the fact that some of the bassline will be too high, for some of the bassline being too low!

All in all, the better solution is to transposed ONLY the notes that fall below a certain point up the octave, and leave the rest alone. This is closer to what an actual bass player would do. Closer than doing the entire base line up an octave, anyway! I often do this trick on sequences I have to transposed down a third or more. A real four string bass guitar goes to an E. D usually works, but much lower is mud! So I will edit in a sequencer, select ALL notes below D, and transpose just those up the octave. Works pretty well as a quick fix…

I know it’s rather a bit more work than a simple octave switch, but a conditional field for “below this note“ would turn the feature into a much better idea, IMHO.
Reply | Threaded
|

mixage
Administrator
Interesting!
Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com
support@mixagesoftware.com
Reply | Threaded
|

claude
Dikikeys, Yes that sounds like a good idea also and I agree with you that transposing a bass line +12 or -12 sometimes is too much, but in a live situation, where you don't have time, it would be an easy fix to get you by for that particular song....

Its because we use Qmidi in a live situation, we need the process to be quick & easy, and having the ability to change the pitch of individual instruments on the fly would be an awesome feature IMO
Reply | Threaded
|

Dikikeys
True Claude, but if Bruno is up to it, a field for transpose up IF below a certain note might allow a hands off live transpose that simply accounts for the natural range of the instrument. Sadly, few SMF’s have a really standardized channel assignment scheme other than ch.2 for bass and ch.10 for drums, but the same procedure for guitar parts, horn parts etc. could allow them to be transposed down (or up) without getting out of the natural range of the instrument.

In practice, I tend to be a bit more careful with bass transposition. If I have time, it’s better to select the whole phrase that dips below the acceptable limit rather than just the note alone to transpose, that’s closer to what a bass player would do (I used to be one!), but in a pinch, just bringing up the sub-D notes will do. Truth is, by the time you go down low enough you need the entire bassline up an octave, you probably need to up the guitars too, for the same reason… 🎹😎