Record Performance

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Record Performance

SINCd
Will Q-Midi eventually have a record performance option?

I'd be really happy to have an all in one package to record the vocal performances as well.

It's such a great package on its own but just wish or would like to see this evolve to the next level / mature into its next incantation than just focusing on midi and file playback.

Thanks for its continued development.

SINCd
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Record Performance

Dikikeys
There are already apps that allow inter-app communication...

Perhaps you could set up a DAW (like Cubase, Reaper, Logic etc.) to record the vocals (and add reverb and compression, perhaps) on one track while the QMIDI app is being recorded into another track at the same time? Or a simple app like Quicktime with two apps routed to it

The thing is, adding a simple record into QMIDI isn't going to satisfy for very long! Soon enough, people are going to want to insert VST or AU effects, edit and comp the vocal, and next thing you know Bruno will be spending all his time on this rather than improving QMIDI's core features...
Reply | Threaded
|

SINCd
Hi there, thanks for your reply and you raise a Fair point... but...

there is lots of messing around to have the lyrics on screen with 1 monitor, logic doesn't like sharing the recording interface and playback with QMidi - and a lot of the time Qmidi stops acknowledging the midi output to my sound canvas while using Logic. But this is across the board with these packages.  ie. Can't use logic and Adobe audition or pro tools together, regardless of different audio sources, your suggestion for routing just complicates thing and adds lag in my experience.

In short, there are several steps involved which turns an impromptu recording of a performance, into an "actual" recording session which can totally break the flow when you're in the moment.  I wasn't asking for a slew of plugins and editing tools. Just a record button with a level for Mic and Music, and the option to export them as stems.  It's just easier having it one package than the messier alternative of exporting audio or converting video to audio, importing into logic, changing keys, tempo la la la..)

I have no problem with recording the take and editing it in another program using separate stems.  But i've tried you're suggestion above a few times and it's not as seamless as you make a sound, no has it ever caught the magic of the performance when you're in the zone.  In fact, its been a frustrating experience.

All the routing and suggested options are workarounds for a package that potentially can do this if implemented, and of course, that is up to Bruno. I only suggested it as I saw this an addition/opportunity for this package's growth.  I would like to see what version 3.0 will bring, and not just a string of fixes."

I also thought that this was a feature request thread for new suggestions, and not to shoot a suggestion down to limit the growth and potential of this package.

Thanks for you reply, and thank you Bruno for your ongoing development of this package.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dikikeys
I didn't intend to shoot down the idea, merely to offer existing alternatives. One thing you may have missed is, route QMIDI into a DAW, you aren't sharing an audio output. The DAW's output would send both to your interface... QMIDI would be routed to the DAW, not an interface out.

And Logic is not your only option, Reaper and Cubase, Live, any number of other DAW's can be tried.

For me, I prefer not dealing with an all software solution anyway! If I want a simple solution, I use a pocket Zoom recorder to record the full mix, which basically bypasses the whole need for the computer to do the whole lot at the same time, and gives me flawless recording without stressing my system any further. I can even use my Zoom H4n to record the QMIDI out separately from the mic in (with or without processing and stereo reverb/delay) to allow later mixing.

Simple is better!