Still hunting iPad alternative to QMIDI

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Still hunting iPad alternative to QMIDI

Dikikeys
I do not have, nor want to use a laptop on stage. So I am still in the hunt for an iPad app that offers basically the same functionality for live use that QMIDI has...

Playing MP3's with synced, scrolling lyrics
Playing SMF's with synced, scrolling lyrics
Reasonably easy cueing up of the next song to perform

Has anyone found something for iPad that does this WITH YOUR OWN FILES? I know of several karaoke apps, but they seem to force you into using their library, and all my files are custom made.

OnSong does not do synced lyrics, it scrolls a text file, not the same thing at all!

I don't need lyric embedding functions, I'm still going to happily use and endorse QMIDI to put the synced lyrics in in the first place.

So, iPad users... Have you found a solution?

(And I would be the happiest man in the world if Mixage would bring this out themselves! Hint,hint!)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Still hunting iPad alternative to QMIDI

mixage
Administrator
http://grinta-app.com/
Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com
support@mixagesoftware.com
Reply | Threaded
|

João Luiz
Hi Bruno and Dikikeys!

Bruno, I think you should make both QMidi and MidiKit for the iPad. In my opinion would be a smash hit for you as a developer.

I've looked the grinta app you suggested and did not like it - I found it outdated - need to use an external module for the midi (when you could use Roland Sound Canvas app as a generator, why?). There is no option of using the files app or a thing like a dropbox to import files (you have to use iTunes, why?).

With your know-how as a developer you would make a better app and there a lot of people that would use both QMidi and MidiKit on an iPad. Please I hope you reconsider the idea. I think there is a big market for you.

Dikikeys - I would suggest you look into Sweet Midi app (plays midi files with lyrics). Doesn't play mp3 files (a pity).  
Reply | Threaded
|

Dikikeys
Unfortunately, I need both MP3 and external MIDI. I use a high end Roland arranger (BK-9) on stage, sounds FAR better than any Sound Canvas app!

I second the request for QMIDI for iPad... That we have to look far and wide for a very poor substitute to QMIDI on the App Store shows what a massive hole there is for the product, and how dominant the app would be if made.

On Apr 15, 2020, at 3:50 AM, João Luiz [via QMidi Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Bruno and Dikikeys!

Bruno, I think you should make both QMidi and MidiKit for the iPad. In my opinion would be a smash hit for you as a developer.

I've looked the grinta app you suggested and did not like it - I found it outdated - need to use an external module for the midi (when you could use Roland Sound Canvas app as a generator, why?). There is no option of using the files app or a thing like a dropbox to import files (you have to use iTunes, why?).

With your know-how as a developer you would make a better app and there a lot of people that would use both QMidi and MidiKit on an iPad. Please I hope you reconsider the idea. I think there is a big market for you.

Dikikeys - I would suggest you look into Sweet Midi app (plays midi files with lyrics). Doesn't play mp3 files (a pity).  

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
https://forum.mixagesoftware.com/Still-hunting-iPad-alternative-to-QMIDI-tp1753p1756.html
To unsubscribe from Still hunting iPad alternative to QMIDI, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

Dikikeys
In reply to this post by João Luiz
Unfortunately, I need both MP3 and external MIDI. I use a high end Roland arranger (BK-9) on stage, sounds FAR better than any Sound Canvas app!

I second the request for QMIDI for iPad... That we have to look far and wide for a very poor substitute to QMIDI on the App Store shows what a massive hole there is for the product, and how dominant the app would be if made.
Reply | Threaded
|

João Luiz
I also have a Roland BK-9. I Know the superior quality of its sounds.

But in situations where I'm not using the BK-9 - for example, when I playing an acoustic piano or a digital grand piano and want to use the backing tracks - I use the Roland Sound Canvas app on my iPhone or iPad as the sound source. I am not a singer so I don't need lyrics, but until we have a version of QMidi for IOS I use Sweet Midi (for midi) and VLC for the audio files.

I agree with you, QMidi for IOS would have a huge market for musicians that use backing tracks because at the moment we don't have a very good app that plays both midi and audio files with a solid playlist feature.

PS - (Dikikeys) I didn't understand - you don't use the sequencer of the BK-9? You want to use QMidi to play and control the sounds of the BK-9?
Reply | Threaded
|

Dikikeys
My problem is that as I age, the small displays of the BK-9 are harder and harder to read, especially outdoors in bright sunlight (I perform and sing a lot in beach bars and restaurants).

Roland used to make the perfect iOS app (Lyrics Viewer) that integrated perfectly with the BK series sequencer and MP3 player, but discontinued it and I was not able to get it when I got my iPad a year or so ago. That's one of the severe downsides to the Apple DRM. Once a developer pulls an app from the store (it costs them money to market it there, and Roland gave the app away for free) there is no way to get a copy, transfer a copy or get the app in any way. I have friends with the app sitting unused on THEIR iPads, but Apple made it impossible to transfer the apps.

So I am stuck with an iPad perfect for the job, and no way to get the app!

TBH, I am surprised you use the rather nasty Sound Canvas app when you are used to the BK-9's amazing sounds... Surely it would be easy to record the BK-9 playing the files, then use the MP3 in your iPad/Phone? Unless you are doing a lot of transposition, I guess... But that way you get consistency from gig to gig no matter what you are actually playing! This is what I have done so if the BK-9 fails, I have my gig on an iPhone so the show must go on! But iTunes does not scroll lyrics. They are there, and can be read, but will not scroll...

C'mon, Bruno... QMIDI for iPad is the killer app!
Reply | Threaded
|

João Luiz
I agree with you DIkikeys - BK-9 display is difficult to read in many situations.

I only use the Sound Canvas app when I without the BK-9 (when playing with the piano and want to use it with backing track). Most of the time I use the BK-9.

I don't think it would be easy to record all my midi files (I have too many of them) into mp3 files - it would take a long time to do it. I don't think I would have the patience to do it. But in a way your right - it is a good second option if things go wrong. But I think the sounds in Sound Canvas app are not so bad. If you use the map of the SC-8820 it is quite good. It is a pity that they not have put the sounds of the SC-8850 - the best of the Sound Canvas before the BK-9. (Who knows, maybe Roland will put it in the future).

I've made a request to the developer of the Sweet Midi player to put audio playback in his software, but he said that this will never happen. I think it is a mistake. So Bruno, please make a version of QMidi for IOS - there's a large number of musicians waiting for a great app on the iPad or iPhone that don't want to use a laptop to play midi and audio files on their gigs. The iPad is more practical nowadays. I am certain that QMidi for iPad would be a great success.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dikikeys
Recording the BK-9 is realtime, but can be done using the Recorder. Simply call up the SMF, hit Record, hit Play, and when finished hit stop. You then have a .WAV to be named. Rinse and repeat...

I'm betting you have a fair amount of downtime free right now! Three or four hours of this a day (and you can turn down the audio to barely audible so you can still work on other stuff) and I'm betting the job's done in a week...

Alternatively, if all your SMF's are in one folder, or organized in folders, you can strap a digital recorder or your DAW to the output of the BK-9 and set the folder to 'Play All' and it will churn through the lot in one go while the DAW records one long file! Then use a DAW to chop it into separate songs... Easy peasy!

You can then take ALL the .WAV's to the computer and use a batch file process to convert to MP3's. Copy the lyric data from the SMF in QMIDI and paste into the MP3 version (do a little trimming to make sure they both start at the same timecode) and voila!

It's one of those things that only need doing once, but when done can give you peace of mind should Virtual Sound Canvas become unsupported in the future (it wouldn't be the first thing Roland abandoned!) or become problematic with a new OS. The main thing for me that makes the BK-9 stand out are the many vel-switched drum kits, that just aren't in the VSC at all... Once you Mekeup Tool a sequence to use those, your backing becomes so much more dynamic! Maybe if you haven't done this yet, yes, your BK is playing the older SC kits and you aren't hearing as much improvement as you could be. But VSC to BK-9 is night and day once you change to using the BEST new sounds...