iPhone synced lyrics

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

iPhone synced lyrics

Dikikeys
Can the iPhone/iPad display synced lyrics?

I have all my lyrics set to the new QMIDI system that embeds the SYLT tags in MP3's that iTunes reads, but they don't scroll. The display is static, so you have to scroll manually.

I need hands free scrolling, as I am playing keyboards.

Am I doing something wrong, or, if iTunes can't scroll, is there an iPhone app that CAN scroll synced lyrics?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: iPhone synced lyrics

Claudio B
Hi, I solved by exporting the song in movie. It works great
Reply | Threaded
|

Dikikeys
This post was updated on .
Can you explain how you do this? Are you saying save the MP3 as a movie with the lyrics display captured?

How big a file does this create? I have several hundred tunes to have to have prepared, and need to fit them on a 32GB iPhoneSE. I also need the audio at its full 320kbps quality, but probably would need the lyrics video at the smallest quality that is legible...

Is this how you were doing it? https://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Lyric-Video-Using-IMovie/

This apparently needs you to resync the lyrics, it isn't reading the ID3/SYLT tags and auto generating it. I'd have to redo my whole library this way.
Reply | Threaded
|

Claudio B
Hello, you have to load the song, export current, choose Movie with resolution 768x576, check include text and chords, ok.
A .mov file is generated which can be converted to m4v to put in the telephon. The file size is not so large compared to the m3
Reply | Threaded
|

Dikikeys
This I think is my problem.

I am primarily concerned about the audio quality, which is why I work in 320kbps MP3 files (I'd work with 16/44 .WAV's if I could, but you can't embed lyrics into those!), but the .MOV that QMIDI exported is smaller in size than the original MP3!

Do you know what settings I would need to use to ensure that the audio stays as high quality as I originally encode it at? But I would need very low video resolution, as all it is is black background, white and red text, no pictures.
Reply | Threaded
|

Claudio B
As far as I know the audio quality does not change with the .mov, the size should concern only the resolution of the video (higher resolution = larger file size).
Another possibility is to use an App called Grinta HOME on Appstore (free).
Export to Mp3, cues "include text and agreements" and upload to iPad with iTunes
file sharing section.
I tried it right now and it works. There is also a Pro version of Grinta but it is paid.
I hope I was helpful
Greetings
Reply | Threaded
|

Dikikeys
Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, Grinta Karaoke is iPad only, and I want to do this from an iPhone (I hate having the audience easily see me read lyrics!).

I will experiment further with converting the .MOV into a file size that isn't excessive. I am still unsure how the MOV ended up slightly smaller than the MP3 if it hasn't changed audio quality, though...
Reply | Threaded
|

Dikikeys
Upon further experimentation it seems I'm wrong about the MOV export. Original 320kbps MP3 is 11.7MB, exported .MOV (set to 768X576 SD export) is 13.2MB, and I am hard pressed to hear any difference (played in Quicktime on my iMac). It's impressive that the video information is only taking an additional 1.5MB!

But when I use iTunes to prepare the MOV for export to iPhone ('export to iPad/iPhone'), it turns it into a 5.1MB m4v, and I can definitely hear a fair bit of loss of detail and 'air' in the audio..!

Does anyone know how to get iTunes (or some other Mac software) to prepare a video for the iPhone that doesn't mess the audio up so much?
Reply | Threaded
|

mixage
Administrator
When exporting an MP3 encoded file as Movie, QMidi does not convert the audio stuff unless you altered either the pitch or the speed. SO your MP3 will just be added as is: an mp3 audio track inside the movie file.

... but making a iOS compatible movie from QMidi have some requirements:

Video format: H264
Audio format: AAC (NOT mp3)

You can inspect the tracks format using QuickTime's inspector.

Actually there's no way to skip conversion from MP3 to AAC (this is what iTunes does), you should use AAC from the beginning of your process :-(

Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com
support@mixagesoftware.com
Reply | Threaded
|

mixage
Administrator
Take note that the incoming 64bit QMidi release (2.8) uses the AV framework to create the movie (no quicktime on 64 bit apps).

This means that the exported stuff is totally compatible with iOS devices.
This also means that the only supported export format is H264+AAC.
Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Dikikeys
Many thanks. I'll try these settings soon. Is there any way to force the conversion to AAC to be as high as possible?

I'm prepared for pretty bad video as long as legible, but I hate for my carefully mixed high bitrate files to lose anything! After all, the audience is only hearing me, not seeing my lyrics..!

Unfortunately, my keyboard only plays .WAV and .MP3, so exporting as AAC doesn't seem to be an option unless I do two exports. I guess syncing just the one time then renaming the file (as I do to take synced lyrics on a file with lead vocal over to the same file without the lead vocal) might work?
Reply | Threaded
|

Dikikeys
Just tried this with the 2.8 beta. When set to export to Movie, there are no resolution settings that allow me to alter the 'Settings'...
Reply | Threaded
|

mixage
Administrator
Will add this.
Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Dikikeys
Awesome. The ability to set high audio quality with low quality video would be optimal, at least for me.

As long as I can just read the lyrics, I'm not too concerned about pristine video. But the music is paramount!