remove silence from midi

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

remove silence from midi

melvinfre
Hello! Is there any way to remove unwanted silence from 1500 midi files. Im making a midi pack and when im exporting from logic the silence in the beginning also gets exported. Would be so happy for answers because this is stressing me out! Thanks a lot!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: remove silence from midi

Claudio B
Reply | Threaded
|

melvinfre
Oh thanks I'll check that out! Where did you find preferences window?
Reply | Threaded
|

Claudio B

Or press cmd+,
Reply | Threaded
|

melvinfre
Cool, thanks a lot! Will it change the original midi file to start at the first midi note?
Reply | Threaded
|

mixage
Administrator
This will not. This is a feature I could add to MidiKit, however.
Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com
support@mixagesoftware.com
Reply | Threaded
|

melvinfre
Okay, I understand! Do you know any other way to do it? Otherwise, how long would that take to add? I have a deadline by this weekend and would need to remove the silence from all 1500 files. It would literally take sooo many hours to do myself. I understand you might not work that way, but it would help so so much!
Reply | Threaded
|

mixage
Administrator
It would be useful for me to have access to one file to check if the QMidi's "Start from first Note" logic can be applied here.
Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com
Reply | Threaded
|

melvinfre
Sure! Here is a link: https://we.tl/t-HvV8LDfNPd
Let me know if I should send it in another way.
Reply | Threaded
|

mixage
Administrator
OK, I've added this batch action in v4.7.5b1.
https://forum.mixagesoftware.com/MidiKit-4-7-5-beta-1-released-tp1895.html

Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com
Reply | Threaded
|

melvinfre
Hello again! This is insane, Thank you so so much! This will save me so many hours of job and ill probably use it a lot of times. It's amazing.
Reply | Threaded
|

mixage
Administrator
Good! Remember to write a happy user review on the App Store or wherever you want :)
Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Dikikeys
You may find some unusual problems when playing from the first note with quite a few keyboards. Although you can’t HEAR anything, that doesn’t mean nothing is going on! If sysex is being used to set things up for the sequence, starting from the first note skips it, and you may hear considerable differences in the sequence if it isn’t ‘played’.

If the sysex is simply a GM/GS reset, perhaps not, but if the sysex does anything more complex it can make a huge difference. I would advise you to listen carefully to each sequence rather than do a batch convert unless you know for SURE that there’s no sysex.

Modern MIDI modules use sysex for a lot of things, from setting up effects processors for specific sounds, to micro editing drum kits. Make sure you aren’t losing out on that stuff!
Reply | Threaded
|

melvinfre
In reply to this post by mixage
Yeah i definitely will! Thanks again!
Reply | Threaded
|

melvinfre
In reply to this post by Dikikeys
Thanks for your answer. These MIDI files will mostly be used in logic and other daws to make music. Will it have an effect on that?
Reply | Threaded
|

Dikikeys
If you are using VSTI’s in Logic, it will depend a lot on whether the virtual instrument is set up by the DAW for that particular song, or whether you need to send codes to it to adjust things.

BTW, Bruno, if you are watching this, some keyboards get around this problem by pre-sending the sysex as soon as the SMF is selected, and then starting from the first note when the user hits ‘Start’. This might work for QMIDI... If all the data PRIOR to the first note is sent out before the Start command on selection of the file (not just sysex but also any CC32/00, PC and controller codes) then the user ought to be able to press Start without any unexpected consequences.
Reply | Threaded
|

melvinfre
ok! But would it be the same thing if I export the original files from logic from the first note or use this program to make it play from the first note?
Reply | Threaded
|

mixage
Administrator
Melvin, your files have a very DIFFERENT problem: the very first event have a non null delta time and this should never happen in a MIDI file:

Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com
Reply | Threaded
|

mixage
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dikikeys
Dikikeys,

QMidi is aware of this, and offers a couple of approaches to give time to the device to process all initialization stuff when "Start from first note" is ENABLED.

1 You have "Auto Play" ON in the preferences

Set a delay in the "Pause" field. This give the device the necessary time to update its status. You have to experiment the optimal value here, which depends on the device hardware.

2 You have "Auto Play" OFF in the preferences

When you launch a MIDI file, QMidi prerolls it immediatly (sending all initialization stuff). When you hit the play button, it just starts playing from the first note flawlessly.

3 You have 2 MIDI devices, 1 on port A and 1 on port B

Preloaded file is always prerolled immediately.

Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com
Reply | Threaded
|

melvinfre
In reply to this post by mixage
Okay sorry for the confusion. So the "Set Sequence start to 01" I guess fixes that right?