6 messages Options
Tau
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Midi Alias or Symlink not working

Tau
Hi

Playing a .mp3 along a text file and a midi containing sysex for an external machine, I've noticed that aliasing a .txt correctly shows synced words but aliasing or using Symlink for a .mid is not working.

I'm using PRO Version 2.8.1.3

Detailing my case:
I use different backing track for the same song, so I've created different .mp3 (eg. without bass, without guitar, etc) in different folders on my hard disk. Then I need to alias lyrics and midi files and put those copies in all the directories I need, making possible to modify only the original file for the whole bunch of folders.
I noticed that lyrics are fine but midi doesn't work at all, QMidi needs the original .mid
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Midi Alias or Symlink not working

Dikikeys
This post was updated on .
Have you considered exporting the mp3's with the lyrics already embedded?

It's what I do, that way my mp3's work in laptops, iPad/iPhones (iTunes will display embedded lyrics, but not synced, yet) and keyboards with lyric displays whether the .txt is around or not.

It's only a quick step at the end of the process ('export current' and select mp3 as format) and you can forget about aliases from then on out!

My post about using tracks with vocals to give a guide .txt for no vocal tracks would work in the same way with different mixes for the same song. Simply duplicate the original .txt and change its name to the name of the alternate mix track (from song.txt to songNoBass.txt, for instance), open in QMIDI and do an 'export current' and the job is done.

Yes, not QUITE as convenient as using one .txt for them all (although you have to name the alternate mixes identically to the original, so there's always the risk of mixing them up), but at least they work regardless of device or usage... And you don't have to redo the timing, simply change name and re-export.

For me, having the confidence that, down the line, no matter what device I use, no matter how I change my file architecture, no matter anything, those lyrics will forever be associated with the file is worth the little bit of extra time it takes...
Tau
Reply | Threaded
|

Tau
It's still a work in progress, so there will be further changes in those tracks. So I need to modify just one midi and one txt for all the different version I made. With aliases is smooth but QMidi seems not happy about that.. 

Il lun 15 apr 2019, 02:03 Dikikeys [via QMidi Forum] <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
Have you considered exporting the mp3's with the lyrics already embedded?

It's what I do, that way my mp3's work in laptops, iPad/iPhones (iTunes will display embedded lyrics, but not synced, yet) and keyboards with lyric displays whether the .txt is around or not.

It's only a quick step at the end of the process ('export current' and select mp3 as format) and you can forget about aliases from then on out!

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.mixagesoftware.com/Midi-Alias-or-Symlink-not-working-tp1503p1504.html
To unsubscribe from Midi Alias or Symlink not working, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

mixage
Administrator
In reply to this post by Tau
Thanks for reporting. Fixed in next release.
Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com
support@mixagesoftware.com
Tau
Reply | Threaded
|

Tau
Perfect, thank you Bruno.
Reply | Threaded
|

mixage
Administrator
http://forum.mixagesoftware.com/QMidi-2-8-2-beta-1-available-for-testers-tp1513.html
Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com
support@mixagesoftware.com