classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

More resolution (bit rate) options to export audio in mp3

João Luiz
Hi Bruno!

Do you think it would be possible to have more bit rate options (quality) of audio exported in mp3.
It seems that QMidi only exports audio in mp3 in 320 kbs - sometimes for a number of reasons - would be very useful to have options to choose bit rates from 128 up to 320.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: More resolution (bit rate) options to export audio in mp3

João Luiz
Hi Bruno,

I waited 2 months for your response.
Please, can you tell me at least if it is possible or not. Or it is something you wouldn't want to do.

Thanks,

João Luiz
Reply | Threaded
|

mixage
Administrator
Of course I 'll take in account your suggestion. You can right now export as AIFF and use some external software to convert in whatever format you want.

If you choose MP3 you can then associate the external text in QMidi and re-export in MP3. QMidi will not re-encode an MP3, it will just add the lyrics.

If the original file did not have an assoviated external text file, you can create it easily by entering edit mode and saving.
Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com
support@mixagesoftware.com
Reply | Threaded
|

João Luiz
Thank you Bruno.

I do that, take the mp3 created by Qmidi and convert it with another program in a lower resolution.
But this takes time when your doing many files.
I would like to have the option to choose the resolution direct from Qmidi, so this would save a lot of time.

(Resolutions like 128 and 160 Kbs in mp3 format).

Reply | Threaded
|

Dikikeys
If converting large numbers of files, it might be worth looking into some of the batch converters out there.

Many of these are capable of converting entire nestled folder structures in one go…

You could also look into some kind of Automator script if you want to do something like open a file in QMIDI, save the text, convert the bitrate (in another program) and re-export the file with attached lyrics in QMIDI.

Do you currently store your library as MP3’s with .txt files associated by using QMIDI, or do you embed the text in the file itself so you don’t have to use QMIDI for performance?
Reply | Threaded
|

Dikikeys
But, bottom line, with flash storage and hard drives being so large and so cheap, why do you want to mess with compromised audio any more? I know that being data efficient used to be the way we were forced to go a decade or more ago, but with cheap 128GB sticks or multi TB sized hard drives what’s the point any more in using anything less than the best audio resolution you can?

Maybe it’s time to drop those old habits and embrace how much better things have got?

I do all my keyboard backing MP3’s at 320kbps, and it’s VERY difficult to tell them apart from 16bit .wav’s, which certainly isn’t the case for 160kbps…!
Reply | Threaded
|

João Luiz
Thanks Dikikeys!

I get your point. If I using my Roland BK-9 there's no problem with 320 Kbs mp3s, but there are times that I need to send an audio (made from a midi file) for the singer to study via Whatsup or messenger and this takes space that is not so large on my phone.

There are situations where I am playing only a piano (without my Bk-9) and I use my iPhone to play my backings - and I need space to be well optimised.

So, in this situations it is good to use 160 Kbs mp3s.

I am not a singer so I don't need test for lyrics. So, if I could make the mp3s directly from Qmidi would be a good thing. (I have apps that convert mp3s but it is one more step to do).
Reply | Threaded
|

mixage
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hi João,

I've added a hidden option on v2.9.6 which allows you to specify the MP3 export bitrate. From the terminal use the following commands:

QMidi:
defaults write com.mixage.qmidi2 lame_brate [128~320]
defaults write com.mixage.qmidi2 lame_vbr [YES,NO]

QMidi Pro
defaults write com.mixage.qmidipro lame_brate [128~320]
defaults write com.mixage.qmidipro lame_vbr [YES,NO]

Cheers
Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com
support@mixagesoftware.com
Reply | Threaded
|

João Luiz
Thank you very much Bruno!

As I have both QMidi and QMidi Pro I can have one set with a lower resolution (for example 160 kbps) and let the other with a higher resolution (320 Kbps).

This will be a time saver.

Cheers indeed.

Reply | Threaded
|

Dikikeys
In reply to this post by mixage
Any chance of having the next QMIDI version have a dialog box allowing selection of bitrate without Terminal editing?

Such a shame there’s no way to embed lyrics into an AIFF or .Wav. Be nice to be able to play the uncompressed file in my BK-9. About time the standards people upgraded the format…