Qmidi won't connect to drum machine

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Qmidi won't connect to drum machine

weofoz
Hi, I hope you can help. My set up is Qmidi on a Macbook connected to a Boss DR-3 via USB.
I also have a DAW that I use to edit etc that has midi functionality. When I play the mp3 along side the midi track in the DAW it plays the midi part perfectly on the Boss via the USB. However, when I put them together in Qmidi it just won't play the midi part. I can see that it is trying to as the lights on the midi converter cable are active and working but it just won't play. In the DAW it seems to read the connection th the Boss but Qmidi doesn't seem to recognise it. I'm going crazy and spending a lot of time on this as I know it can work. Hope you can understand my description and provide some assistance... Colin
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Qmidi won't connect to drum machine

mixage
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Playing a MIDI file in sync with a video/audio file is a QMidi Pro only feature.
http://www.mixagesoftware.com/en/qmidi/qmidi_help.html?page=supported_media.html

Check your MIDI settings (MIDI output port):
http://www.mixagesoftware.com/en/qmidi/qmidi_help.html?page=midi_settings.html
Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com
support@mixagesoftware.com
Reply | Threaded
|

weofoz
Thanks for getting back. I do have QMidi Pro. The frustrating thing is that when I play the midi file through the DAW it plays perfectly. So this seems to tell me that my macbook recognizes the DR-3. But when played from the QMidi player even though the lights on the converter cable are working in time there seems to be no recognition by the DR-3 and therefore no sound out. I am thinking that the settings in the Audio/Midi section maybe wrong. Although I have tried every which way to get it to work. On the DAW there is a place to assign the track to an output source. This doesn't seem to be the case in Qmidi pro.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dikikeys
In reply to this post by mixage
Just a quick question about this feature...

If you are running a MIDI file and an audio file in sync, what resolution does the tempo resolve to? I have had issues with my Roland only working in integer tempos, which makes tracking a non-clicked audio track impossible.

Also, still REALLY interested in a way to use Markers in the MIDI file to make the audio track jump forwards and backwards in time (to restructure the song on the fly). Any chance of implementing this?

It's an awesome feature for SMF's, I'd love to be able to do it with audio...
Reply | Threaded
|

mixage
Administrator
In reply to this post by weofoz
You mean that:

QMidi MIDI output is correctly routed to your Drum Machine.
When playing the file with QMidi, MIDI messages are received by the drum machine but no sound is produced?

Please send me the MIDI file so I can test this.
Mixage Software
www.mixagesoftware.com
support@mixagesoftware.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Dikikeys
The issue might be that the DAW is rechanneling the SMF. Have you tried exporting the SMF in the DAW and saving, then opening the new SMF with the audio in QMIDI?

If you are getting 'send' lights on your MIDI interface, it's definitely getting something, but possibly it's on the wrong channel. The DR will only respond to the one channel (most likely, ch.10).
Reply | Threaded
|

weofoz
In reply to this post by mixage
Sorry it's taken so long to reply. It turns out that the drum machine was faulty.... very frustrating. But now it's all go,go,go.......